laundry centre on fire, customer hurted

A woman who suffered 50 per cent burns in a fire at a 24-hour self-service Laundrybar outlet in Taman Jinjang last night is in a stable condition.

“It comes as a real shock to us as we are one of the pioneers in the business here and have always practised the strictest safety measures at our outlets to ensure the safety of customers 24/7,” Kelvin Ang of City Coin Laundry Sdn Bhd said.

“We are not quite sure what triggered the fire but we are more concerned about the customer who was injured in the incident.”

Ang said his colleagues had visited the women at the burns ward of Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

He said she was out of danger but had burns on her palms and face, and upper body, mostly.

He said the company promised to render any assistance the victim might require as that was its responsibility.

“I suspect the fire had something to do with the maintenance work carried out at the outlet in the afternoon, but we’ll have to wait for an official forensics report,” he said.

“It’s very unfortunate. We have opened more than 400 outlets in the country and Southeast Asia in the last four years. This is the first time such a thing has occurred.”

Ang said losses incurred were estimated to be more than RM300,000.

“We want to be sure because this is no joke. It involves the lives of those using our services,” Ang said, adding that the company would cooperate with the authorities to get to the bottom of what had gone wrong.

“If there are any risks we are not aware of we will make improvements.”

It was reported that a 40-year-old woman, who was waiting for her clothes to be ready, had suffered severe injuries due to the fire in the 8pm incident.

A Fire and Rescue spokesman said a distress call was received at 8.05pm and the fire was put out at 8.22pm.

About 80 per cent of the premises was destroyed. The upper portion rented to foreigners was also destroyed.

“Thirty-five firefighters from the Jinjang, Sentul, Hang Tuah and Sri Hartamas Fire and Rescue Stations were involved in putting out the fire,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2019 | ScrollMe by AccessPress Themes